Powered By Blogger

Thursday 27 September 2018

Woman, please invest!

I listened to Sade Adu’s ''sweetest taboo’’ recently and nodded my head in soothing appreciation to this old classic tune. What ever happened to fine music of the 80’s? They don’t make music like this anymore.
Sade has great talent backed with amazing vocals and wish she would release another inspirational album soon. Women are doing big things these days and more women are breaking barriers.
The world is fast changing, just like the investment world is rapidly changing but sometimes wonder why few women invest in the stock market. Seriously, the old days of putting money in a savings account and watching its slow interest growth drowned by a higher inflation rate is over.
We are in the age where technology keeps blowing the minds of many, and an artificial intelligence app can monitor all your investments and trigger when to hold or sell.
“I am afraid that I will lose my hard-earned cash”, is actually the most common answer I receive when I ask a woman why she keeps all her money in a savings account. Sometimes, she may continue by saying “I can’t be bothered really, I can just pile it up in my account, that way I know it is safe’’.
Others will say ''The market is unwelcoming, male dominated and full of jargon’’ while some even feel the investment services advertised all around are not aimed at them. This is why an investment service aimed solely at women to educate them about finance and investing will do well in Nigeria.
Some women think this is a risky thing to do and would rather remain in their comfort zones. A comfort zone is a beautiful place to be, but nothing ever grows there. In life, you have to grow and evolve, just as the world evolves around us. Do not remain static, else, the world leaves you behind.
The major reason why I invest my money in the stock market instead of leaving it in the equivalent of cash in my bank account is because I am so risk averse. Following my educational and experience, I believe a woman who doesn’t invest is actually taking on more risk than I do, because if she loses her job for example, she probably would have nothing else that would generate income for her. She then dips her hands into the savings till it probably dries up. What if her husband is facing a similar challenge and unable to sustain her? It becomes a battle.
Also, according to the National Bureau of Statistics, Nigeria’s inflation rate has been dropping consistently for the past four quarters. Inflation is an economic tax and if you put money in a savings account, the economic tax you pay exceeds the return from your savings account. To ensure that your return is higher than the economic tax you pay, it is wise to put your money in an investment that pays you more money with more favorable returns.
The first step is to make up your mind that investing in stocks is an area you would like to explore, and then take up steps to learn about it. With this mindset, you will be on your way to having a winning portfolio.
Here, we equip you with tutorials, recommendations and market news to help you become a seasoned investor. Fear not woman, take up the challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment